This spicy mix of sprouted lentils, peppers and tomato is quick and easy to mix up. It can be served in lettuce or chicory boats and topped with avocado to make a light snack full of protein, fibre, slow releasing carbs and healthy fats or used to top a baked sweet potato for a more substantial meal.
The balance in macro-nutrients helps to maintain stable blood sugar levels as well as promote a healthy heart and body weight.
230g sprouted lentils
400g can of chopped tomatoes
1½-2tbsp Mexican spice paste or harissa paste
1tbsp tomato puree
150g roasted red peppers, finely chopped (freshly roasted or from a jar)
1 head of gem lettuce or chicory
1 avocado, diced
Chilli flakes to garnish
- Rinse and drain the sprouted lentils.
- Drain the juice from the chopped tomatoes using a sieve.
- Combine the spice paste with the tomato puree and drained chopped tomatoes and mix well in a bowl.
- Add the lentil sprouts and roasted peppers and mix well.
- Fill the lettuce or chicory with the spicy lentil mix and top with diced avocado or guacamole and a sprinkle of chilli flakes.