Do you use Essential Oils?
About 25 years ago (I was a teenager!!) I attended an aromatherapy course and loved experimenting with the different smells and learning about the benefits when used for massage. I never would have dreamt that all these years later I would be putting them in my food!!
I reignited my love for essential oils when I was introduced to doTERRA Essential Oils which are in a different league to the ones I used for making the room smell nice!
These FOOD GRADE essential oils are of a much higher quality and so many are safe to ingest. Having said that, not all are recommended for internal use so please do your research and check each bottle for recommended application. These oils are all derived from plants and are highly concentrated, so you only need a couple of drops to get the same flavour as the fresh plant. Not only do they add amazing flavour they provide health benefits too!
The health benefits from essential oils are not in the form of vitamins and minerals but they occur from their natural chemical constituents and the way they interact with the human body. When ingested they interact directly with cells, organs and entire body systems like the digestive system, the nervous or immune systems.
A couple examples of the health benefits include:
- Basil oil supports nervous system health when consumed internally.
- Peppermint oil promotes digestive health and aids healthy respiratory function and clear breathing when ingested.
- Lemon oil naturally cleanses the body, aids in digestion and supports healthy respiratory function when used internally.
The oils can also have emotional benefits too for example:
- Orange oil is uplifting and invigorating
- Clove oil is empowering and gives courage
- Lime oil is revitalising and gives determination
Cooking with Essential Oils
How many times have you read a recipe and thought if only I had that herb or spice, I could make that! Well these little bottles don’t really have a use by date and have been proven to maintain their efficacy for at least 5-10 years if not more!! So you can always have the flavours you need to hand. When cooking with them be mindful that when heated too much they may lose some of their health benefits so ideally stir through at the end of cooking.
Here are some ideas to try:
- Thai dipping sauce or salad dressing with lemon grass oil
- Dark chocolate flavoured with peppermint oil
- Chocolate energy balls flavoured with orange oil
- Mayonnaise flavoured with lime oil or dill oil
- Sauerkraut flavoured with fennel oil
- Mince pie filling flavoured with clove oil
- Curry sauce flavoured with cumin and cilantro (coriander) oil
- Green smoothie flavoured with lemon oil
- Latte flavoured with ginger and turmeric oil
- Hot chocolate flavoured with cinnamon and ginger oil
Check out my recipe for Spinach and Walnut Pesto with Basil Oil.
Not all essential oils are FOOD GRADE so please do be careful to check before using them in cooking. If you would like to try the doTERRA oils, which is the band I would recommend, then you can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or Clare Cogan at email@example.com from Creating Calm who is an expert on these matters!!