A great no added sugar on the go breakfast. With natural sweetness from banana, apple and blueberries and a wealth of omega 3 fats alongside good levels of fibre, these muffins are a truly healthy option and will set you up for the day. A gluten free, dairy free and nut free option.
60g flaxseed, freshly ground
60g porridge oats
1½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground mixed spice
Pinch of sea salt
100ml hot water
1 tsp vanilla extract
200ml almond milk (or soya for nut free)
130g ripe banana
1 large egg
50g coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 eating apple grated
100g buckwheat flour
1¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
30g fresh blueberries
- Pre heat the oven to 185⁰ Lightly grease or line a muffin tin.
- In a large bowl mix the ground flax, porridge oats, cinnamon, mixed spice and salt. Add the hot water and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring until well mixed then set aside for 7 minutes.
- In a small nutri-bullet or blender, blend the banana, egg, lemon juice and oil until smooth. Fold this into the flaxseed mix followed by the grated apple.
- When it is thoroughly mixed, fold in the flour and bicarbonate of soda followed by the blueberries and chopped walnuts.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and sprinkle with extra porridge oats before baking for 25 – 30 minutes until cooked through.