If you look up the word Balance it has so many meanings and definitions it is no wonder it’s all a bit of a mystery! Even if we define it as Life Balance it will mean something different to everyone. What is for certain is that creating balance in our lives is truly important to our overall health and well-being.
What does Balance mean to you and is it achievable?
The first thing many people think about is Work/Life Balance. Balancing Work time with Life time. As a small business owner working from home I struggle with this. Because working from home means I’m at work everyday right?? And my work is my life, is it not??
Then when I start to think about it more deeply I realise Work/Life Balance is only the tip of the iceberg!!
How do we find a healthy balance on a day to day or week by week basis?
When it comes to our health, firstly I think we need to look at what our day or week needs to include to have balance. It may be different for you but the elements I focus on to find balance are:
Bringing some awareness to our daily habits in each of these areas is a good place to start to check we have a Healthy Balance.
We have all heard about a balanced diet but how often do we really check in with what we REALLY eat? And do we REALLY know what a balanced diet should include? Here are some areas to consider….
- The Balanced Plate – Are you getting the right proportions of:
- Low GL complex carbohydrates from wholegrains, root vegetables, beans and pulses
- Quality protein from meat, fish, beans, pulses, nuts and seeds, eggs, organic minimally processed dairy.
- Healthy Fats – Unrefined oils, avocado, oily fish, nuts and seeds, eggs, cheese, dark chocolate!
- Fluid intake – How much of the following are you really drinking?
- soft drinks
- Snacking – Do you regularly eat snacks and what are they?
- Treats – How often do you have treats and could you swap them for healthier options?
- Meal time routine – Do you have a routine with your meal timings and does it benefit your health?
We all know that exercising regularly is good for our health, but do we have the right balance? Ask yourself…
- What type of exercise do you do and is this the best for your all round health and to achieve your health goals?
- How long do you exercise for on a daily or weekly basis?
- How consistent are you with your exercise?
- Could you increase your exercise or the variety within your routine?
We all have to do this in one form or another, whether formally working or running a household or both, how we divide our time in different areas to achieve our aims is important. Think about how much time you spend….
- Doing your jobs
- Promoting and selling your business
- Planning what needs to be done in the short term – your task list
- Planning what you want to achieve in the long term
- Doing admin!!!!
We wish we had more of this, and it is crucial for our Health so why do we not prioritise it more? Think about the following….
- What do you do for down time?
- What is your selfcare routine?
- What is your sleep routine and are you getting enough?
We are probably all lacking in this area over the last year! But even in lockdown it is important that we cultivate time to build and nurture relationships. How much time do you spend doing the following and are there any you would benefit from doing more of?
- Connecting with family and friends
- Telling people you love them and giving them a hug
- Investing in your relationships
- Giving and receiving support and comfort
It may sound a lot to think about but once we have an awareness of what we are doing, finding balance is about being happy and content with the decision we make about the time we spend doing these things and this may be different from one day to the next.
Benefits of Balance for our Health
When it comes to overall health, all these elements are important, not just a balanced diet or regular exercise routine. As we follow and develop our health path, which is ever changing, as new habits form and ember, the benefits will quickly become clear including:
- Easier weight management
- Less illness
- More Energy
- Better sleep
- Increased brain clarity
- Balanced mood
To find a Healthy Balance remember:
- It is a process of ongoing practice not a goal to be achieved
- It is being content with your priorities for today/this week/this year
- It is important to have long term and short term goals to give direction
- It is ok to reach out for support, help and knowledge when needed
To find out more about creating a healthy balance in your life, join our Menu&Mind Membership Programme which is now open to everyone or sign up for our next Foundation Course starting on the 21st April. Click here for more information… book before the 1st April and receive a 15% discount!