This true comfort dinner is a great basic recipe that can be adapted for your taste, what you have in the fridge or leftovers to use up (see notes). With a balance of protein, carbs, fats and vegetables it makes the perfect all in one meal that is equally delicious served hot or cold. Great at picnics too!
1 tbsp olive oil
100g sundried tomatoes, chopped
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
250g cooked brown basmati rice
250g cooked quinoa
300g frozen peas
150g sweet potato, grated
100g fresh spinach, shredded
200g oatly crème fresh
4 generous tbsp of nutritional yeast
2 tsp dried Italian herbs
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 180⁰C and line a 23x23cm deep sided baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and gently sauté the diced onion until soft.
- Add the garlic and sundried tomatoes and continue to sauté for 1-2 mins. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Place cooked rice, quinoa, frozen peas, grated sweet potato and shredded spinach into a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Blend the tomato, onion and garlic in a small food processor or blender and stir thought the rice and veg mix.
- Whisk or blend the crème fresh, eggs, herbs and seasonings together then add to the rice, veg and tomato mix, stirring until thoroughly combined.
- Place into the lined baking dish and smooth until flat.
- Bake for 25-30 mins until golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold with salad and mayo.