A twist on the traditional Lebanese dish which uses bulgur wheat this recipe is a great alternative to pasta salad at a BBQ or the perfect side to any meal. The use of quinoa in this tabbouleh provides a plant-based complete protein which is also gluten free.
200g uncooked quinoa
500ml boiling vegetable stock
½ cucumber, de-seeded and fine diced
3 large tomatoes, de-seeded and fine diced
28g bunch parsley, finely chopped
28g bunch mint, stalks removed and leaves finely chopped
4 spring onions, finely sliced
2tbsp lemon juice
¼tsp ground allspice
¼tsp black pepper
¼tsp ground cinnamon
¼tsp ground cloves
¼tsp ground nutmeg
¼tsp ground ginger
100ml avocado or olive oil
50g pomegranate seeds
30g flaked almonds
- Add the quinoa and the vegetable stock to a saucepan and bring to the boil, cover and simmer on a low heat for 10-12 mins until the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is cooked. Remove from the heat and spread out onto a baking sheet to cool to ensure it does not overcook.
- Meanwhile chop all the herbs and vegetables and place in a large bowl.
- Make the dressing by whisking the lemon juice, spices and oil in a small jug.
- Bring the tabbouleh together by adding the cold quinoa to the vegetables and herbs along with the dressing, mixing well to combine.
- Stir though some of the pomegranate seeds and flaked almonds reserving a few to garnish.
- Serve with bean burgers and relish or as a side to meat skewers or grilled fish.