A fabulous alternative to the dried fruit based Christmas treats. This delicious nutty and spicy chocolate cake has a great texture from the polenta and is full of healthy fats and protein helping to slow the release of the sugars and balance our energy levels.
100g dark chocolate (75-85%)
150g ground hazel nuts
100g fine polenta
1½ tsp baking powder
2 tsp mix spice
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger
¼ tsp salt
180g cooked chestnuts rough chopped
150g coconut oil, soft
100g coconut sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla paste
2 tsp lemon juice
50g chopped hazel nuts for topping
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and the base and lightly grease the sides of a 20cm spring form cake tin.
- Melt the chocolate in a heat proof bowl set over a pan of just simmering water. Once melted remove from heat and set aside to cool a little.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Using an electric whisk blend the coconut oil and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Add one egg and whisk until incorporated before whisking in the second egg, vanilla and lemon juice until combined.
- Add the melted chocolate and gently whisk until completely incorporated.
- Then fold in the dry ingredients and spoon the mixture into the lined cake tin.
- Level the top and sprinkle with chopped hazel nuts and press gently into the mixture.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until firm and skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin before transferring to a cooling rack.