A vegan version of what is traditionally made with lamb mince, this vegetable packed aromatic dish uses quinoa to provide a complete protein making it a great main or side dish.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion finely diced
20g pine nuts
1 garlic clove minced
¼ tsp all spice
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground ginger
Pinch of salt
200g cauliflower riced
250g cooked quinoa
100g spinach shredded
20g raisins soaked for 30 mins in hot water
Zest of ½ lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
10g parsley finely chopped
10g mint finely chopped leaves only
6 bell peppers
- Pre heat the oven to 200°C
- First prepare the mushrooms by pulsing in a food processor until very finely diced. Set aside and repeat with the cauliflower.
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onions and mushrooms over a medium heat until onions are translucent and juices from mushrooms have evaporated.
- Add the garlic, pine nuts and spices and cook for a further 2 mins.
- Add the riced cauliflower and stir until just soft, careful not to overcook.
- Stir in the cooked quinoa, soaked raisins and spinach and cook until wilted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon zest and juice along with the fresh herbs. Set aside while you prepare the peppers.
- Slice peppers in half through the stalk, remove seeds but leave stalk attached. Place in dish skin side down and stuff with the filling.
- Add 2 tbsp of water to the bottom of the dish, cover with foil and bake for 25 min. Remove the foil and bake for a further 10-15 until peppers begin to brown.
- Serve with salad and spoonful of hummus or mayo.