A gluten free carrot cake style muffin with extra fruit and vegetables. The fruit puree adds to the natural sweetness and so allows you to reduces the added unrefined sugar as your taste buds adjust.
The crumble top adds a great texture and means they do not require a traditional frosting which are often loaded with extra sugars.
1tsp vanilla essence or paste
150ml of extra virgin olive oil or cold pressed rapeseed oil
60g (50ml) apple/pear puree/pumpkin
80-120g coconut palm sugar
50g arrowroot or tapioca flour
65g teff flour
65g brown rice flour
1½tsp baking powder
2tsp mixed spice
¼tsp fine sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
150g grated carrot (or chopped fine in a food processor)
100g grated courgette (or chopped fine in a food processor)
1tbsp buckwheat groats
1tbsp sunflower seeds
1tbsp pumpkin seeds
1tbsp coconut flakes
1tsp maple syrup
- Heat oven to 180°C .
- First make the crumble by pulsing all ingredients in a blender (or mini chopper) a couple of times to chop and mix till desired consistency and set aside.
- Cream eggs, vanilla, oil, puree and sugar with electric whisk or blender.
- In a separate bowl combine the flours, baking powder, spices and salt and mix well.
- Add the creamed ingredients and mix well before folding in the grated carrot and courgette.
- ¾ fill muffin cases and sprinkle with crumble top, gently pressing it into the mixture a little so that it sticks.
- Bake for 25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.