This moist tray bake cake uses blended pineapple for natural sweetness, is both gluten and dairy free. The spices enhance the flavour and the cinnamon also helps balance blood sugar. The added walnuts give texture and the zesty cashew cream makes it a special treat!
150 gluten free flour mix
¾ tsp fine sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
80g coconut palm sugar
100g grated carrot
20g raisins chopped
20g chopped walnuts
120ml of mild olive, avocado or cold pressed rapeseed oil
200g tinned pineapple in juice drained
1 tbsp lemon juice
Cashew Cream Frosting
130g cashews nuts soaked for 1 hour in warm water
50ml maple syrup
1 tbsp melted and cooled coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice
Zest of 1 orange or 5-10 drops of orange oil
Pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 180°C and line a 20-22cm square deep sided tray.
- Soak the cashews in warm water while making the cake.
- Weight all the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- Add the stir in ingredients and mix to distribute evenly.
- Blend together the wet ingredients in a nutribullet or blender.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool a little in the tin before removing to cooling rack.
- To make the frosting rinse and drain the cashews and place into a nutribullet or blender with all other frosting ingredients into and process until smooth.
- When the cake is cooled gently spread with the cashew cream and garnish with more chopped walnuts.