A hearty plant-based winter warming stew inspired by the traditional Hungarian meat goulash spiced with paprika and caraway. Loaded with vegetables and chickpeas to create a comforting and satisfying health dish.
400g tinned chopped tomatoes
50g sundried tomatoes
100ml red wine or water
2tbsp sweet smoked paprika
1tbsp fresh or dried marjoram
1tsp coconut sugar or 1 date
¾ tsp caraway seeds or ground caraway
½ tsp ground black pepper
Zest and juice of ½ lemon
Pinch cayenne pepper
Pinch ground cloves
1tbsp olive or avocado oil
200g red onion sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
500g butternut squash peeled and cubed
400g tinned chickpeas drained
200g broccoli chopped into small florets
Fresh parsley to garnish
- First blend the sauce ingredients in a nutri-bullet and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion over a medium heat for 5 mins until softened.
- Add the garlic and butternut squash and sauté stirring for a further 2-3 mins.
- Add the broccoli, drained chickpeas, blended sauce and 200mls of water, stir to combine. Increase to a high heat and bring to the boil stirring occasionally.
- Cover and simmer for 20 mins stirring occasionally, until butternut squash and broccoli are tender.
- Adjust seasoning to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with cornbread or rice.